A Review of Different Multipliers in Digital Circuits
Keywords:Serial and parallel multiplier, array multiplier, tree multiplier.
Multiplication is one of the basic functions in all digital circuits. It is widely used in digital signal processing (DSP) applications. Hardware resources utilization and processing time required by it are more than addition and subtraction. There are two different kinds of multiplication algorithms known as, serial multiplication algorithms and parallel multiplication algorithm. Serial multiplication schemes are widely used in sequential circuits, it contain feedback loop. Parallel multiplication algorithms often used in combinational circuits, it does not contain feedback structures. This paper presents various multiplier architectures. Multiplier architectures generally classified into two categories, one is tree multipliers and another one is array multipliers. Tree multipliers add as many partial products in parallel as possible and therefore, are very high performance architectures. Multiplication operation involves generation of partial products and their accumulation. The speed of multiplication can be increased by reducing the number of partial products.
2. Rabey, J. M., Nikolic, B., and Chandrasekhran, A. P., “Digital Integrated Circuits: A Design Perspective”, 2nd Edition, Prentice Hall, pp. 586-594, 2003.
3. Roy, K., and Yeo, K. S., “Low voltage Low-power VLSI Subsystems”, McGraw-Hill, pp.124- 141.
4. MacSorley, O. L., “High speed arithmetic in binary computers”, Proc.IRE, vol.49,pp. 67-91, 1961.
5. Wallace, C. S., “A suggestion for fast multipliers”, IEEE Trans. Electronics Comput., vol. EC-13, pp.14-17, 1964.
6. Fayed, A. A., and Bayoumi, M. A., “A Merged Multiplier-Accumulator for high speed signal processing applications”, IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP), pp 3212 -3215, 2002.
7. Fatima, I., “Analysis of Multipliers in VLSI” Journal of Global Research in Computer Science.
Authors need to sign following agreement with International Journal of MC Square Scientific Research before publishing their articles:
- Authors need to return copyright form to Journal Editor-in-chief to proceed their articles for publication. Meantime, the journal licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits other user to distribute the work with an acknowledgement of the authors for International Journal of MC Square Scientific Research.
- Authors are also able to share their separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-restricted contribution of the journal with an acknowledgement of publication in International Journal of MC Square Scientific Research.
- Authors are allowed and encouraged to share their work during the submission process for increasing citation and exploring to increase the paper availability in worldwide way. The Effect of Open Access.